Description The site of the Hunt Memorial Building has a long heritage, beginning when Ellenville was called 'Fairchild City', or just 'The City.' Alpheus Fairchild, who bought most of today's village in 1798, had a dwelling erected on part of the site where the Hunt Building stands today.Charles Hartshorn came to 'The City' to try a case in the Hoornbeek Tavern in 1823, and liked the community so much that he decided to stay. He was young, energetic, and forceful. He opened the first store in 1823, led the drive to choose a 'real' name for the community and applied to the federal government for approval of a post office (He was named the first postmaster in 1823). He erected a home for his family on the former site of the Hoornbeek Tavern and was elected first President of the newly incorporated village of Ellenville in 1856.After his death in 1883, his daughter and son-in-law, Maria and Joseph Tuthill, continued to live in the house which Maria later bequeathed to her daughters, Rose H. Eaton and Anna H. Saxton. They transferred ownership to the Ulster County Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) of Ellenville, New York in 1916.The George and John R. Hunt Memorial Building was erected 1915-1917 by the Women's Christian Temperance Union at the bequest of John R. Hunt, a local businessman and community leader who was a supporter of the Union.The architect for the building was Frank E. Estabrook of Newburgh and the design included space for the public library (the exterior bears the words 'Public Library' in blocks over the Canal Street door), WCTU meetings, lectures, and community events, as well as rental space.The laying of the cornerstone, reported in the Ellenville Journal of May 24, 1915, included the placement of a box in the cornerstone which would contain various WCTU documents, newspapers, a picture of John R. Hunt and a copy of his will, as well as a list of building committee members, the architect, and contractors. The George and John R. Hunt Memorial Buil
Pamela Phelps, Greenfield Park Member Since March 2013 Artist Statement Welcome to Pine Singer Images
Pamela is a "Keeper of Days Gone By". Through her photographic artworks she lends style and ambiance of historical landmarks and notable places in and around the Sullivan, Ulster, and Orange county areas of New York, USA.
Her work brings back the origin of emotional experience once connected to the remains of history so highly regarded in this area of New York. Pamela brings back that feeling of "stepping back in time" through artistic creations of her photography.
Please feel free to journey along through time with Pamela. Leave a comment, send a "like" to "Facebook": https://www.facebook.com/PineSinger or contact her with any questions or special orders.
For a full portfolio visit: "PineSingerImages" http://www.zenfolio.com/pinesingerimages
**All images are copyright Pine Singer Images, and may not be used, duplicated, or altered without written permission. Images on this site are NOT of public domain.