Description Middle Bay Lighthouse, also known as Middle Bay Light and Mobile Bay Lighthouse, is a hexagonal-shaped screw-pile lighthouse with a lantern on top. It sits offshore from Mobile, Alabama in the center of Mobile Bay.The station was activated in 1885. In 1916 the keeper's wife gave birth to a baby that summer at the station. According to the Alabama Lighthouse Association web site, the keeper brought a dairy cow to the station and corralled it on a section of the lower deck because his wife was unable to nurse the newborn baby. All had to be evacuated when the station survived but was damaged by a hurricane that year. The light was automated in 1935.The lighthouse was deactivated in 1967. In 1984 the lighthouse was stabilized by Middle Bay Light Centennial Commission in preparation for the centennial celebration. Middle Bay Lighthouse was placed onNational Register of Historic Places in 1985. In 1996 the Coast Guard loaned the original Fresnel lens to the Ft. Morgan Museum for public display. In 2002 restoration efforts were begun to repair the lighthouse.