Usha Shantharam, Bangalore Member Since May 2008 Artist Statement ‘My personal philosophy is to open people’s minds to the beauty of our times and the scenes of everyday life around us.’-usha
Painting makes me to discover the world around me and myself again and again.
I paint extensively on various subjects, in various styles, in oils and acrylics on canvas and digital media. I just love to paint.
Solo and Group Shows:
- 2014- 'Akanksha' group art show by 50 women artists celebrating Women's Day - 8-10 March.
- 2013- ‘LAYA’ – Rhythms of Nature and Dance – group art show at Chitra Kala Parishath.Art Complex. Bengaluru- 4th to 10th Oct 2013.
- 2013 – ‘Melange’ group art show in aid of the ISPTD ( Indian Society for Performers and Teachers of Dance) 13th Sept to 10th Oct at Sublime Art Gallery Bengaluru.
- 2012 – 23rd to 27th March ‘ArtWave’ group art show by 35 artists at Chitra Kala Parishad – Bengaluru.
- 2011 – Group art show ‘The Drawing Room Musings’- along with her students of art class. - 16th May to 25th May at Karnataka Chitra Kala Parishad. Bengaluru.
- 2009 – Nov 8th and 9th - Group Art show of paintings organized for and by the members of ‘Bangalore Club’ – Bengaluru.
- 2009 – May 3rd to 13th, ‘Prathibimba’ group show at ‘Renaissance Art Gallery, Bangalore.
- 2009 - Solo show at Chitra Kala Parishath called ‘Body Language’ from 1st to 8th February.
- 2008-2009 – Touring Group Art shows held at Jodhpur ('Palette Symphony of art Gallery Jan 4th to 24th '); Jaipur,(14th March to 24th March); Calcutta('GC Laha Centenary Fine Arts Gallery' Dec 29th to Jan 10th); and Goa, as member of the ‘Scribble artists association’- Hyderabad.
- 2007 – ‘Trinity Solo show’ at the ‘Trinity Acres and Woods’ Community in December.
- 2007 – ‘ARTWORKS’ a two person show at ‘Chitra Kala Parishad’ Bangalore in May.
Awards and achievements:
Usha’s paintings have been featured many times in various magazines and newspapers. ‘Elle India April 2014 issue featured her poster art series of Indian cinema. ‘Indian Talent Magazine’ featured her in their Feb 2014 issue, and US based GalleryFront Art magazine featured her ‘Peak Oil’ project paintings in 2007 Sept Oct issue.
She was invited by BBC World Hangout to take part in a discussion titled ‘What makes Art Iconic’ along with many illustrious artists based all over the world. This show was hosted by none other than Will Gompertz - BBC Arts Editor, and Benjamin Zand - producer/BJ at BBC World. During the show, her painting ‘Dancing the Mahishasura Mardini’ was shown and discussed, and was described by producer Benjamind Zand as ‘a wonderful piece of art’.
She was a finalist in the Nationwide Art competition organized by ‘Kala Sangati’ of Hyderabad in 2008.
She has served as Juror during the ‘Abstract Art’ competition held by The Bishop Cottons Girls College, and was awarded ‘Woman Entrepreneur in the field of Art’ by the students of Bishop Cottons Girls Collage during ‘Entrepreneurs Week’ in Feb 2010.
She has participated and organized the ‘Rajastani Miniature Paintings’ workshop conducted by renowned artist Shree Uma Shankar Sharma in 1998, and taken part in many ‘plein air painting’ trips with fellow artists and students.