Description For me it was an unusual sight, seeing this lady adorn her hair with safety pains. This she does with the traditional beads in portraying a bridal wear from Kogi in the middle part of Nigeria.
'Muyiwa OSIFUYE, Lagos Member Since April 2012 Artist Statement ‘Muyiwa Osifuye was born in Lagos on Jan 6th 1960 and he is based in Nigeria.
He attended Igbobi College and Kings College, both in Lagos. He studied Optometry (1984) and also had an MBA-Finance &Marketing (1990) from the University of Benin and University of Lagos, respectively, all in Nigeria.
But in 1996, he also ventured into the world of photography.
He has been working in the documentary/art mode and also does commercial assignments especially in aerial photography for the oil and gas industry.
He is also a practising entrepreneur, Optometrist, Interior designer, self-publisher/author and a thinker.
Some of his writings can be seen at www.ezinearticles.com
• Africa: See You See Me Program In Africana Studies, New York University, USA.
Sept – Dec 2008
• ‘Imagine art after’ produced by Index Arts, London, UK. Tate Britain, London, U.K. Oct 2007– Jan 2008
• Halic University Intl Exhibition of Photography), Istanbul, Turkey Nov-Dec. 2007
• Benefit Auction at The Renaissance Society Museum (University of Chicago),USA, 2004
• 5th Gwangju Biennale, South Korea, 2004
• 50th Venice Biennale, Italy 2003
• Documenta 11,Kassel, Germany, 2002
• Goethe (German) Institut, Lagos, Nigeria (solo exhibitions) 2002 & 2003
My works tend to incorporate the feelings and reflections I have about my immediate environment in Nigeria (Africa) which I do through a simple style of making pictures.
Africa has been stereotyped by way of a peculiar type of images with deliberate negligence of positive messages; this confuses and prevents balanced information from reaching the rest of the world.
Therefore, I try to document the people’s way of life and their environment but with a sense of responsibility to maintain balance, as there is no known group without its weaknesses and challenges.
And of course I do try to beam a search light on different issues of global interest through my thematic photographic series as I also explore the road of art photography and commercial assignments.