Description The Oakland hills were covered in a vast redwood forest, known as the San Antonio Redwood, with some of the largest trees on earth. From 1842-1853 full-scale logging decimated this forest to supply San Francisco with lumber. In 1850, the areas first steam sawmill was built on the edge of Montclair. The logging road to the mill, later Park Blvd, connected to the wharf at the foot of 13th Avenue, where ships transported the lumber to San Francisco. By 1860 the forest was gone.