Description Silhouette of Mashrabeya 4 bw. Black and white Silhouette of architectural detail of a Mashrabeya window which was seen in an old building in Rasheed, Egypt. Black and white photography by Donna Corless.
Donna Corless, Newport News, VA Member Since December 2006 Artist Statement
PERSONAL: Born: 1964
Oklahoma City, OK
Education: Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, 1986 Auburn, AL
ARTIST STATEMENT: "My art is inspired from my travels and primarily expresses the unique views of architecture, geometric lines, or tropical subjects that I love to see and portray."
Donna has been creative since her early childhood. She came from a creative family where her mother was an artist as well as her two grandfathers. Donna won her first art award when she was 12 years old. She was raised as an Air Force dependent and had the opportunity to travel overseas with her family and lived in places like the Azores, Philippines, Turkey, and Bermuda. She was torn between business and art while in school. Although, she pursued a business career until 1995, she felt drawn back to her creative side. In 1999, she started to photograph her travels more seriously and in 2000, she began experimenting with various techniques using computer software with her images while living in Italy. She felt compelled to integrate the computer technology that she had learned with her artwork. She combines her love for creating and photography with her passion for travel to create her own collection of black & white photos, color photos, and digital artwork and imagery which she calls Digital Watercolors. Currently, she focuses primarily on her architectural and travel photography.
Donna currently lives in Newport News, VA.
Exhibitions and Recent Events of Interest
Published in "A Year of Festivals" (General Reference) by Lonely Planet Publications (Paperback - Aug 1, 2008)
Listed as a Featured Artist at Imagekind.com in June 2008. Listed as an Emerging Artist with Art.com.
Published online by S.Pellegrino at http://www.sanpellegrino.com/.
- Black and White 2007 Online Exhibition at PhotosandArt.com, Feb. 1, 2007 - Jan. 31, 2008
- Friends and Art, 4 person show, Villa Cattaneo, San Quirino, Italy, July 15-30, 2006.
- Donna Corless - Amalfi Coast at Night, selected as NOMINEE in the Professional Architectural Category by the International Color Awards, Masters of Color Photography by a panel of the most esteemed creative professionals in photography and art, from National Geographic Channel in Washington DC to Vogue and the Fine Art Society in London. Beverly Hills, California, May 7, 2006.
- Featured Artist in Original Art and Photography at Art.com, January, April, July, and October 2006.
- Aviano BX, Aviano, Italy - January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December 2005
- Bella Befana Bazaar, Aviano, Italy - October 2005
- Primavera Bazaar, Aviano, Italy - May 2005
- 2005 National Juried Photo Competition: Through a Lens, The Human Element, Juried by Michael Collopy, Coastal Arts League, Half Moon Bay, CA - March 10 - May 9, 2005
- Juried Exhibition: OpenArt 2005, Sale del Bramante, Piazza del Popolo, Rome, Italy - January 2005