Description This monumental temple complex was built by King Ramses II (c.1279-1213 B.C.E.) in what was once known as ancient Nubia, as a demonstration of both his worldly and divine power. He was the most prolific pharaoh in terms of building works, and a highly accomplished military leader.In the early 1960s the entire temple complex was moved to higher ground when the Aswan Dam caused Lake Nasser to rise and inundate the area. The two temples were dismantled and raised over 60 meters up the sandstone cliff where they were reassembled, in the exact same relationship to each other and the sun, and covered with an artificial mountain. Most of the joins in the stone have now been filled, but inside the temples it is still possible to see where the blocks were cut.The Temple of Ramses IITemple of Ramses II at Abu SimbelThe temple (108 feet high and 125 feet wide) is cut into the face of a sandstone cliff, with its entrance guarded by four colossal (65 feet high) statues of King Ramses II. At the feet of these statues are smaller statues of the Kings children. Above the entranceway in a niche stands a statue of the sun god, a falcon headed representation of Ramses. The complex is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.