Description The church began in 1756, when the then bishop of Rio de Janeiro, Dom Antnio do Desterro, decided to take to the city a house of the third brothers of the Order of the Minimums of San Francisco de Paula. This order emerged in the fifteenth century, founded by the Italian monk Francisco de Paola, and has as its charisma contempt for the ephemeral values of life and full dedication to the help of others. In this case, it was one of the rare cases in Brazil in which a religious order was first established by tertiary brothers - only in the twentieth century came the first monks of consecrated life. Initially, the third order of the Minimums was sheltered in the church of Santa Cruz dos Militares, until a land was obtained for the construction of a church of its own.The building was completed in 1801. The interior of the church is entirely clad in a refined wood carving in a mixture of baroque and neoclassical styles. Inside the church stands the chapel of the Lady of Victories, whose carving is also attributed to Master Valentim, and whose walls there are paintings by Manuel da Cunha, a slave who bought his own freedom with the payment received for his artwork.
Lisa Lu, State of Washington Member Since March 2009 Artist Statement Lisa first started painting with color pencils at the age of 10, and she has always loved to paint ever since; it allows her to express feelings with a peaceful mind. Self-taught and self-developed in watercolor and ink painting, each of Lisa's painting is a journey to adventure. Lisa presently resides with her husband and their son in the State of Washington. She is a licensed architect, and currently works in an architecture firm, while continuing self study and painting on architecture and landscape subjects in watercolors.