Description De La Fosses allegories under the dome over the tomb of NapoleonShortly after the veterans chapel was completed, Louis XIV had Mansart construct a separate private royal chapel, often referred to as the glise du Dme from its most striking feature. Inspired by St. Peters Basilica in Rome the original for all Baroque domes, it is one of the triumphs of French Baroque architecture. Mansart raises his drum with an attic storey over its main cornice, and employs the paired columns motif in his more complicated rhythmic theme. The general programme is sculptural but tightly integrated, rich but balanced, consistently carried through, capping its vertical thrust firmly with a ribbed and hemispherical dome. The domed chapel is centrally placed to dominate the court of honour. It was finished in 1708.The interior of the dome (illustration, right) was painted by Le Bruns disciple Charles de La Fosse (16361716) with a Baroque illusion of space seen from below (sotto in su perspective, the Italians were calling it). The painting was completed in 1705.