Description The Van Nest-Hoff-Vannatta Farmstead is located on a seven-acre property in Harmony Township, Warren County, New Jersey. The property, which lies along County Route 519, was originally part of a much larger parcel that was acquired in 2001 by the State of New Jersey with Green Acre Funds. The remarkably intact farmstead was listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places in 2005 as a representative illustration of the rural regions architecture and agricultural practices during the 18th and 19th centuries.Three of the building are noteworthy individual examples: The c. 1824 bank barn, comprised of a frame, six-bay upper level, accessed by an earthen ramp on the north side and a stone lower level or stable facing south, is an outstanding example of the largest of its type as well as of traditional mortise and tenon construction. The stone house comprises a double-pile, one and a half story main block constructed in the late 18th century or perhaps somewhat earlier, and a two-bay east extension dating c. 1810. It is a notable example of traditional masonry construction and the regions early domestic architecture. The early 19th century out kitchen is a rare two-story example of its type and, remarkably, retains a cooking fireplace with intact bake oven. Five other frame outbuildings are on the property of late 19th/early 20th century date three wagon houses with gable entries and flanking corncribs, a smoke house and a privy.The farmstead exemplifies the regions largest farmsteads, properties that clearly express the success of their owners.The original tract of 768 acres was likely settled by John Van Nest around 1763, and subsequently owned by brothers John and Abel Hoff during the early 19th century. In 1856 William M. Vannatta acquired the southern half of what was by then a 590-acre tract that contained the farmstead, by the right of John Hoffs will. Vannatta moved to the Italianate-style new house overlooking the farmstea
Louise Reeves, north brunswick Member Since June 2010 Artist Statement Louise Reeves is an award winning photographer whose work has been shown in galleries throughout New Jersey. Her "Doors of" series has been a favorite of collectors for years and includes the towns of Bordentown, Metuchen, Burlington, Highland Park and Lambertville, with more to come. Her work has been featured on Ovation TV in their promotional spots and has won awards at Fine Art shows in East Brunswick, NJ, Dunellen, NJ and Bordentown. Louise resides in North Brunswick, NJ with her husband, twins and two adorable dogs.