Description Watercolor, 11 x 15; The Brandenburg Gate, a former city gate, built between 1788 and 1791 by Prussian King, as a key entry point to the city of Berlin. The Gate is composed with 12 Doric sandstone columns and atop the gate is a bronze statue known as the Quadriga, which depicted the goddess of victory driving a chariot pulled by four horses. Originally the gate was a symbol of peace. In 1806, during Berlin's occupation by France, Napoleon ordered the quadriga to be taken to Paris. After the Battle of Waterloo, the quadriga was triumphantly taken back to Berlin, and it was turned into a symbol of victory.The Brandenburg Gate has played different political roles in German history. The Gate survived World War II. After World War II and the division of Berlin, the Brandenburg Gate was right at the border between East and West Berlin. The gate symbolized Germany's division. With the fall of the wall in 1989, people flocked to the reopened Brandenburg Gate to celebrate.
Lisa Lu, State of Washington Member Since March 2009 Artist Statement Lisa first started painting with color pencils at the age of 10, and she has always loved to paint ever since; it allows her to express feelings with a peaceful mind. Self-taught and self-developed in watercolor and ink painting, each of Lisa's painting is a journey to adventure. Lisa presently resides with her husband and their son in the State of Washington. She is a licensed architect, and currently works in an architecture firm, while continuing self study and painting on architecture and landscape subjects in watercolors.