Description The Royal Courts of Justice, commonly called the Law Courts, is the building in London which houses the Court of Appeal of England and Wales and the High Court of Justice of England and Wales.The building is a large grey stone edifice in the Victorian Gothic style and was designed by George Edmund Street, a solicitor turned architect. It was built in the 1870s. The Royal Courts of Justice were opened by Queen Victoria in December 1882.A bronze gryphon adorns the Temple Bar Memorial (1880), which stands in the middle of the road marking the beginning of Fleet Street, a continuation of the Strand, on the boundary of the City and Westminster. The memorial stands on the site of Temple Bar Gate, designed by Wren in 1680, on which decapitated heads were once displayed. On state occasions the monarch traditionally has to pause at Temple Bar and ask the Lord Mayor for permission to enter the City.